Monday, July 11, 2011

New EDD VISA Debit Card

Beginning in July, 2011, rather than mailing paper checks, the EDD will mail claimants an electronic benefit payment, Visa-branded EDD Debit Card from Bank of America.

The EDD Debit CardSM allows customers to receive their benefits faster, easier, and more secure. It also provides customers with a direct deposit transfer option once they have received their card.

Customers receiving UI benefits will continue to receive printed checks until they are automatically identified to be switched over to the new debit card service. Due to system limitations, we can not inform individuals ahead of time when the switch will occur for them.

Customers will receive the following separately:

  • An Electronic Benefit Payment Notification letter when they are being switched over to the card.
  • A claim form without a check attached.
  • The card itself within approximately three to five business days of receiving the notification letter.
Claimants should direct any banking related questions to Bank of America, and continue to direct questions regarding UI benefits or claim information to EDD. Click here for more information.

Help the Harbor and Community Recover from the Tsunami!

The Workforce Investment Board (WIB) of Santa Cruz County has received a National Emergency Grant (NEG) to hire 57 workers to help repair tsunami damage. The NEG project will be administered by WIB with program operators Central Coast Energy Services (CCES) and the Community Action Board (CAB) of Santa Cruz County.

Who Can Apply? Anyone 18 years or older and who:

  • Lost their job temporarily or permanently because of the March 11, 2011 tsunami, or
  • Who is currently unemployed and qualifies as a “dislocated worker” (laid off or unemployed 15 out of the last 26 weeks, etc.)

What Kind of Jobs?
57 or more temporary jobs at the Santa Cruz Harbor and county coastal areas will be created over the next nine months starting July 18, 2011, including Crew Leader $18plus//hour and Crew Technician $11plus/hour. Each worker can earn a maximum of $12,000 or 1040 hours of employment, whichever comes first.

Click here for more information and how to apply.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

CalWORKs Hourly Activity Reports

CalWORKs students, remember to turn in your monthly Hourly Activities Reports to our office. We will forward to your ETS at the County after we verify your class enrollment.

Here are the blank forms for June 1-15 and June 16 - 30. If you like to fill in as you go, here are blanks for July 1-15 and July 16- 31. We also have copies of these in the office if you would like to pick them up here. Older forms may be found on the CalWORKs page on our website. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the monthly forms.